About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Shellay Ward
Oblaten
Hazelnut Cake
Melbourne Cup Carnival
The Shape of Things
Fresh Porcini
Strewth Ruth
Chicken Slavinks
Say It With...
Panko Crumbs

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Monday, November 12, 2007
Wild Cucumbers


Here is something you don't see everyday, a jar of pickled WILD cucumbers! We first got on to these a few years ago and have them as a change from the fermented and pickled cucumbers that usually grace our pantry. Mind you, it is only an occasional change, as these beauties are as salty as all get out, which I'm theorising is because wild cucumbers might be a little bitter and are well salted to make them more palatable, in the way most older cookbooks tell you to salt eggplant (aubergine) slices to draw out the bitter juices.




As you can see, they are long and very slender, but are distinctively cucumber shaped and seem to have more in common with Mediterranean cucumbers than other varieties. Cucumbers themselves are thought to have come from India and then embraced by the rest of the world. These wild cucumbers however have nothing to do with the wild cucumber of North America, known as manroot, which are shorter, rounder and spiky.

Because of the strong salty taste, which is accentuated by the pickling liquid, describing their flavour is a little difficult, but they are definitely slightly different to other pickled cucumbers, with a slight earthiness evident. They would most probably be served as part of a meze, no doubt with some fiery arak, or lion's milk as it's known in Lebanon, which could turn into a nasty little circle with all that salt leading to just one more drink...

This is my entry to Weekend Herb Blogging, this week hosted by The Expatriate's Kitchen.
 
  posted at 8:37 am
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 11:57 am, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Ah yes, that could be a dangerous circle, salt, drink, salt, drink. . .

I've never seen anything like this before. What's interesting is that I kind of recognize the logo on the jar; I think that brand of stuff is sold in middle eastern stores here.

 
At 2:56 pm, Blogger Anh said...

I saw that bottle somewhere but never knew what to do with this. An informative post as always.

 
At 8:08 pm, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I've never heard of wild cucumbers. Years ago I made a batch of pickles that was very high in salt. They shriveled to half their size and you could bent them in half without snapping - but were incredible crunchy...
If I ever see these I have to try them.

 
At 1:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Strange!! This cucumber also known as snake melon in hindi word it is called " kakdi".cucumber in India are kirby type.Very rarely we get chubby cucumber with seedsand sometimes couter skin is bitter. In india ,cucumber is very seasonal and was very costly as compared to other seasonal vegetables.Probably to meet demand with supply.In India,you will find roadside vendors ( poorest just cucumber stock s only) fresh cut cucumber toasted with black salt.Other than this,You find recipes only in" raita" of north India and" pachadi" of south India .
pickled cucumber is entirely new for Indian food environment.
Thanks for giving clues for " manroot".BTW, we hardly get this ype here in USA even in indian stores.

 
At 3:09 am, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Ah, I think I'll be making the rounds of my special grocery stores today and tomorrow. Sounds like a fun thing to try.

 
At 3:10 am, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Sometimes I think you must just climb around stores looking for the different.

 
At 8:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On reading "man root" , I suddenly remembered yellow cucumber which is round in shape."Dosakai " Andhra's specialty which has pickling recipe.
This of course is lemon Cuke .Is it popular in other hemisphere? andhrites enjoy this type cucumber. pickle.Thanks again.

 
At 3:02 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi kalyn, very dangerous indeed! Hope you can find some, they are kind of interesting.

Hi anh, don't we all have a bottle of some such thing that we've never tried before. Sometimes you just have to grab the nettle.

Hi katiez, when you think about it, there are, apart from fish, not a lot of wild foods available, so it's nice to try them. We do cucumbers every year, not pickled but fermented.

Hi ramya, isn't it funny that they originated in India, but are now wild in the Middle East? Very informative info re cucumbers, funny though, I would have thought they would be freely available there all the time. I don't know about yellow cucumbers but will look out for them.

Hi tanna, I really don't go looking as such, it's just when something catches my eye, promise!

 
At 5:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Lebanon and had these fresh and pickled. I usually rinse the pickled one to get rid of some of the salt before adding it to my sandwich. The fresh ones are not bitter at all, actually, they are kind of sweet and very tasty, I wish I can find them fresh in the US :(.

 
At 5:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate at a place called Pita'z today at Lindale Mall in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They put wild pickles on the pitas. They were salty but it was a nice touch.

 
At 11:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are called Mikty in Lebanon ( Arabic) they are not bitter at all. My father used to grow them for market as a lot of lebaneses do. When my mom used to pickle them the rule of thumb for the salt ratio to water was to add salt until a raw egg floated on the water and also added vinegar so that they would last. My husband grows a patch of these here in Canada, they need hot dry weather and we only water them when the plants are small, then not at all after we cover half the plant with soil

 
At 12:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

continue- they are also called Fakous in Syria(Arabic) but I don't know what the name for these in English is other than wild cucumbers. I got here because I was searching for their name online. When these pickles are made at home they're not as salty. I think the store bought ones are salty to make them last longer on the store shelf, a good tip is to soak them a bit in water to reduce the salty taste. Another note, the fresh ones are great in salads or just to munch. Enjoy.

 
At 11:57 am, Blogger Unknown said...

www0528
prada outlet
nike roshe one
polo ralph lauren
cheap mlb jerseys
uggs outlet
air max 90
jordan shoes
mac makeup
canada goose outlet
carrera sunglasses

 
At 2:11 am, Blogger tkocarts.us said...

buy vapes-and-carts/exotic-carts/ online

buy real cookie carts online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter