About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Silly Sausage
Chef Melissa's New Year Eve's Dinner
Christmas Message
Saucy Girls
Top This
Christmas Party
Chile Theory
Double or Nothing
Rolling On
Chardonnay Blues

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Well Done
A couple of interesting finds due to the painting.

A $300 electronic car key that was missing for eighteen months. By the way, how do car makers get away with charging so much for a key? It's almost like give me the car and sell me the key.

Jam, that's right, jam. We are making jam faster than we consume it. Counted one box and there were twenty-five jars ~ we had six boxes. Too many of our friends have fruit trees, I might have to sneak out in the dead of night and do a George Washington, at the very least a good prune. On the spot New Year's resolution, we will only be making sour cherry (pie cherry) and raspberry jam from now on. Oh, if any one wants some jam ...

Banged on about bangers in my previous post, the way some people over cook them. Well sausages aren't the only form of meat to suffer this fate. Take my Christmas roast, four and a half kilos (10lbs) of glorious, aged prime rump of beef.

My sister-in-law E. hosted Christmas lunch. She asked me to procure the meat, which I ordered from one of my favourite butchers, Ormond Meat & Smallgoods. The owners Zepp and Marlies are Swiss, and most obliging; they will happily cut to order any type of meat in any shape or fashion and if you care to order in advance, will age your meat too.

E. had given me the number of guests early, so I ordered the meat a month before, plenty of time to age, and picked it up two days before Christmas. Unfortunately some guests were unable to attend, so the roast was a little large. The only thing to do was to slice some rump steaks off this magnificent lump of meat, which I did quite happily, for I knew what was going to happen next.

Whenever we cook a roast, my wife D. always asks for how long and at what temperature. Unfailingly I always tell her, unfailingly she always adds more time. When I complain D. points out that she cannot eat pink meat and I can eat well done meat, when I point out that she could eat from the outside of the roast, leaving me the pink inside, her reply is that the meat isn't cooked properly, then I add that she can eat steak tartare, which is completely raw, she adds that doesn't count.

Anyway E. asked me how long and at what temperature to roast the meat, which I told her and she then proceeded to cook it longer and hotter ~ just to be safe E. even added the resting time to the cooking time.

Did I tell you the vegetables were very nice?
 
  posted at 8:40 am
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 11:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Neil,

Hope you got my last comment on the sausage sizzle. Putting my hand up for some of your jam, please, I can hear Solace screaming for some as well. Have you ever thought of telling Dorothy the wrong cooking time and when she gets it out of the oven, tell her you will cut the roast beast yourself, so she doesnt see the pinky bit, which is what every red blooded male really likes, the pinky bit. hmmm, Im sure D will find a way to stuff that roast beast back in the oven. lol. Seeya soon, Gregory

 
At 3:31 am, Blogger Angela said...

Yummy! I have never had sour cherry jam...sounds delicious! (I stick to making just strawberry, but if only I had a raspberry bush!) I have to confess, I was just like your wife when it came to my meat well done......that was until I was pregnant with our first son. All I wanted was beef, lots of beef, just hot and pink.....now I can't seem to go back to well done!

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi Greg, D. won't cop shorter times, she is convinced the timing I give her is way too short anyway.

Hi Angela, Once you enjoy hot and pink, there is just no going back. With the sausages, maybe take them out of the fridge an hour before you want to cook them ~ there is less worry about not cooking through. I cook mine on gas somewhere betweem slow & medium with a little oil, no pricking. When they are a nice tan colour all over they are done. Take them out of the pan straight away.

 
At 2:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeezy boost 700
curry shoes
off white
fear of god outlet
golden goose outlet
bapesta
bape outlet
kd shoes
jordan retro
off white clothing outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter