About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
The Cocktail Party
Hay Hay it's Donna Hay #6
Be Careful, Everyone's Watching
The Road Less Traveled
Dinner's at Eight
Wine of the Week
Not For Publication
My Addiction
Weekend Herb Blogging
The Butterfly Effect

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
The Rose Garden
Last Sunday, the three of us, D, M and me wandered around the St Kilda Botanic Gardens. This wonderful botanic garden was formally established in 1859 and now contains 810 mature tree specimens of which 8 are registered as significant with the National Trust, as well as outstanding displays of flowers. It is a much loved oasis of tranquility in the heart of bustling St Kilda.

I first brought D here when we were just married, we would wander around for hours, hand in hand, resting on the park benches, checking out their kissing quotient. The gardens are so romantic in that old world fashion and are the place to come and fall in love, so much so that many weddings are performed here.

Well, with all that romance in the air, it's only natural that a children's playground was established in the south-east corner of the gardens and M and her friends have spent many a happy hour or two playing with all the equipment. On this particular Sunday, we had been to Acland Street and bought some cakes and decided to eat them in the gardens, after which M had a play and then we all strolled around the gardens. One of our favourite spots is the Alister Clarke Rose Garden, established in the 1950's and is probably, along with the roses at Flemington Racetrack, one of Melbourne's finest displays of roses.

My mum used to grow roses, or rather they grew despite her, no fancy pruning for them, feeding or pest control, her roses had to have enough character to survive and flower, which they always seemed too, perhaps they knew the fate that awaited any slackers in her garden. As a young lad I loved watching the roses come into bloom, the buds that contained so much mystery and promise, slowly unfolding to reveal gorgeous blooms full of striking colours and heady perfume. There is something so perfect about a rose in full bloom and the Alister Clarke Rose Garden did not disappoint.

We went along looking at each variety and smelling the intoxicating scent, when I noticed an empty bottle of Domaine Chandon alongside one of the garden beds. This is one of Australia's premier sparkling wines, made in the Yarra Valley and its presence made me wonder as to the circumstances of its arrival. I'm guessing two lovers had made there way here, perhaps after the gardens were closed to share a drink and a moment together, though I would hope that the wine didn't take away their inhibitions, for too much amour amongst the roses could lead to an unexpected surprise!

But what happened next made me wonder about the power of suggestion. As I leaned over to smell the next rose, I swear it smelt like a sauvignon blanc wine; there were lifted tropical scents along with the smell of lychee and pineapple. I laughed at myself and smelt it again, but I wasn't mistaken, the typical nuances of this wine were there. Had catching a glimpse of the empty wine bottle subtly shifted my perception of the scent of the roses, or did this particular rose simply smell like a wine? It's not impossible for it to be so, look at any wine aroma and taste chart and they are chock full of fruit and vegetable smells and flavours that are similar to what you can taste in a wine. Nature doesn't reinvent the wheel with each different fruit and vegetable, flavour compounds are common across the entire spectrum and the echoes of these seem to be present in all grapes.

And now roses.
 
  posted at 7:24 am
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 6:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a great lover of roses also (my first encounter with them at the age of 2 1/2 had me fall so utterly in love with them that I devoured half my grandmother's bounty of flowers) but have never heard of these gardens - have made a note to check them out!

 
At 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a great lover of roses also (my first encounter with them at the age of 2 1/2 had me fall so utterly in love with them that I devoured half my grandmother's bounty of flowers) but have never heard of these gardens - have made a note to check them out!

As for roses with the scent of wine - combining my two loves into the one is not something that will have me complain! Though the much subtler sweetness of the flowers is something I would miss...

 
At 7:01 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi ellie, roses are fantastic flowers that also say so much - think of a dozen red roses. You will love the rose garden, it's in full bloom right now. So I can see that wasn't your bottle of sparkling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter