About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
always with me
Wine Country & A Barbeque
Al, We Need You
Pretty Shortcut
'Til Death Do Us Part
The Heart of the Matter
Artichokes
Enchiladas
Chocolate Covered Misery
Nicely Does It!

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Heston Blumenthal - In Search of Perfection

Well, it's taken a year for it to arrive in Australia, but better late than never, as Heston Blumenthal's new show, In Search of Perfection, premiered last night on Foxtel. It is a seven part series and it seems that Heston is keen to put his take on some pretty mundane, everyday dishes that any halfway competent home cook could deliver, but that is where any similarity ends as we are taken deep into the bowels of the HB Laboratory and shown some techniques that only the most truly dedicated disciple might attempt to replicate.

Which is not to say that the programme wasn't interesting or enlightening. It was fascinating to watch Heston's restless mind at work, but the fact is, he is a single minded food purist, and nothing gets in the way of where he wants to take a dish; there is no technique or process that is either too hard or too simple, if it gets the job done.

As a host, he is taking us on a journey and does so in a charming, straight forward manner - there is no talking down to anyone, in fact it may come as a complete surprise for Heston to learn that some may find his work the proverbial a bridge too far, no home cook I know is working with liquid nitrogen or dry ice for that matter. But watching him make ice cream in seconds with liquid nitrogen was amazing, he simply poured it into the bowl that contained the ice cream mixture, whisked, and voila, dessert was ready.

Even though many see Heston as one of the supreme molecular gastronomists, he doesn't actually see himself that way, a point he makes well. It would seem he is not about changing food into some sort of surprise, rather, he is more about finding a particular ingredient's pure expression, by stripping away the extraneous, or by combining things in a way that highlights certain flavours or characteristics.

It is worth watching this uber talented chef in his prime, the science isn't impenetrable, just don't blame me if you don't feel the same way about bangers and mash again...ever.

In Search of Perfection
Foxtel, LifeStyle FOOD
Monday, 8.30pm
 
  posted at 10:01 am
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 4:32 pm, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'll have to see if he's on in Dallas. Certainly sounds intriguing if not anything that will be attempted in any of my kitchens.

 
At 4:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a warm introduction to the show, Neil :) There was some strong discussion of it over on eGullet a while back (afraid I don't have the link right now) and it must be said that many of the analytical processes in conceptualising these 'perfect' recipes are far from logical or rigorous, which sort of defeats the ambitious 'perfect' label. It's a pity, cos the concept had lots of potential.

 
At 6:50 am, Blogger Gigi said...

I'm all in favor of a nice dark wood pub, so he's got me there. But I'm pretty sure I'm banned by some injunction or another from ever introducing liquid nitrogen, blow torches and dry ice into my kitchen ever again. In the interest of public safety.

 
At 11:30 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, it really is worth a look if only to get behind the scenes as it were.

Hi duncan, perfection is completely subjective, how do I know when a dish is perfectly salted for instance? I don't, it's just gut feel and even though there is a lot of science behind Heston's work, at the end of the day, there is gut feel too. However, the show's title is search for perfection, which doesn't mean its been reached; I guess perfection is rather like the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Hi gigi, I'll be there with you in the pub ordering a pint or two! I kind of feel the same way about all the gadgetry and stuff, much too dangerous in the wrong hands...like mine.

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger Anh said...

I have watched the whole series! This show is a winner, showing how a chef develops a perfect recipe. I agree with you that the show goes beyond the molecular gastronomy. I particularly love how Heston Blumenthal combines his knowledge and memories of food & taste. Very interesting indeed!

 
At 10:41 am, Blogger Truffle said...

I'm a bit of a fence sitter when it comes to molecular gastronomy but I loved his attempt to distinguish himself from it or at least make it seem less pretentious.

I also confess to quite enjoying the ice cream making with liquid nitrogen. Interesting stuff.

 
At 9:46 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi anh, yes, I loved it too, anything with new ideas gets me in every time.

Hi truffle, I'm with you on that fence. I need to have a good experience with it, but tend to prefer food that hasn't been mucked about with too much. But you're right, it's very interesting stuff.

 
At 1:01 am, Blogger John said...

Neil, I have only managed to catch two shows so far, due to work commitments, but I must say that Heston's approach to seek perfection is somewhat exhausting. The end product has a certain wow factor which has obviously won him and his restaurant 'The Fat Duck' many awards. I would love to learn some of his techniques, but like said before those toy's are not to be messed with. Hope to catch more shows, till next time.

 
At 7:42 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi john, having caught a couple more shows now, it's easy to agree with you; his search for the perfect batter left me exhausted...and not certain that it really was all that good. But some of the things that happen along the way really are interesting, it's kind of a journey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter