About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Here I Am
Help Wanted
Desert Island Dreaming
Eggplant Salad
St Kilda Photos
Pinnochio's Nose
Well Done
Silly Sausage
Chef Melissa's New Year Eve's Dinner
Christmas Message

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Friday, January 27, 2006
Tacos Anyone?
Tankeduptaco, that's a funny one; suppose a few readers think it was specially thought up for this blogspot. Not true. When my kids helped me to set up the computer a couple of years ago, they said I had to have a cool name for my emails and that name had to be unique. Thinking not so hard, came up with tank, my nickname from the past, as in built like a tank. From there, it was only a short step to tankedup, meaning full and ready to go. Then I added taco, one of my favourite foods, something simple and uncomplicated, with a never ending parade of fillings. So when I wanted a nome de plume for this blog, it was perfect. This blog is like a taco, full to the top with interesting fillings.

I've always liked Mexican food, it never ceases to amaze me, that from such simple ingredients, something greater than the sum of its parts emerges. One thing that irks me is that whenever food critics talk about great cuisines of the world, they NEVER mention Mexican food. Come on guys, what's wrong with you? In my world, Mexican cuisine is in the top three. Looking on my bookshelf, there are more French cookbooks than any other, next are Mexican cookbooks.

If anyone cares to leave a comment about their favourite cuisine and why, I will do a post about readers favourites.

So why do food critics dismiss Mexican cookery? I suspect it is to do with the use of chilies. For a start they can't drink their wines as the chile heat interferes with their ability to taste the wine, especially so with red wine. Capsaicin, the chemical responsible for chile heat, reacts with the tannins in the wine, rendering meaningful tasting impossible. The only wines that have any chance of showing anything are unwooded whites such as riesling, or unwooded reds in the beaujolais style.

If the critics cannot drink wine with their meal, half their pleasure has evaporated. The other problem the poor darlings have is if they aren't used to chilies, they cannot assess the food properly. Nuances that are apparent to any chile head are lost on them. So rather than admit that they are not equipped to critique the food, they dismiss it.

In supermarkets in my neck of the woods, in the gourmet section, the Italians are well represented with pasta and sauces, then would come Mexican, Indian and Asian food. I can't think of a single French item, for instance, that one could base a meal around. Supermarkets only stock what's selling and of the four cuisines mentioned, three of them are liberal with chilies and spices; this is the food the man or woman in the street wants to eat.

The glory of Mexican cuisine, is that a few ingredients have been coaxed into a form that is true to its peasant origins, but is capable of great sophistication. Think ceviche, mole, rellanos, fish in the Veracruz style. Think of all the different salsas, one small book I have contains more than thirty recipes alone. This cuisine is alive with taste, perhaps all it needs is a champion to show the world its proper place.
 
  posted at 11:11 am
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 6:15 am, Blogger Angela said...

Yay! for Mexican food! Definately one of my favorites. Living in Arizona has it's advatages when it comes to Mexican cuisine. My family eats some variation of Mexican food at least 2 to 3 times a week. I learned how to make homemade tortillas and red chile sauce at a young age. (And, when I actually take the time to make them, my hand-rolled tamales kick butt). I have to agree with you that it definately doesn't get the props it deserves. Maybe you should be the champion to show the world, Mr. Uptaco!?! :)

 
At 8:47 pm, Anonymous sateen sheet set said...

If the critics cannot drink wine with their meal, half their pleasure has evaporated. The other problem the poor darlings have is if they aren't used to chilies, they cannot assess the food properly. Nuances that are apparent to any chile head are lost on them. So rather than admit that they are not equipped to critique the food, they dismiss it.
california king duvet comforter
king wool duvet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter