About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Weekend Herb Blogging #41
A is for Autism
Cooking Flu
The Gross Factor
Weekend Herb Blogging #40
Comfort Foods
Portuguese Dreaming
Takeout
Bendigo Gold
Kill That Taco

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Monday, July 17, 2006
Double Up Pasta
Exactly how large is large?

Over the weekend, I decided to make some pasta from scratch. It's not something that I do very often, so it's not second nature to me. Pulled Marcella Hazan's book, The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking from the shelf and followed her recipe. Well not exactly, for she doesn't call for salt in her pasta, maybe she thinks that the salted boiling water used to cook the pasta is sufficient, but to my mind, fresh pasta doesn't absorb as much water as dried pasta, so I added a good pinch of salt.

But that wouldn't account for what happened next. Marcella gives the ratio of flour to egg as 115 g (4 oz) flour to one large egg. Three of us for lunch, so I multiplied that quantity by three. So far so good. Weighed the flour out and placed it on the work counter, went to the fridge and took out two egg cartons of free range eggs. One carton said the eggs weighed 50 g, the other said 60 g. Well 60 g is larger than 50 g, so they must be large eggs. Cracked three in a bowl and whisked them with a fork and poured them into the centre of the flour, which I gradually drew in to form a dough which I started to knead. The only trouble was the dough was still sticking to everything, like the work counter and me. More flour, a bit more kneading and it was still sticky. More flour again and again and again. Eventually it came right.

It must have been in the order of 25 to 30 g (1 oz) flour that was added in extra, which is a whole lot if you consider that the recipe said that you might not need all the flour called for in the first place. I didn't have time to ponder as my wife D was going to work and I needed to finish the sauce as well as roll the pasta, dry and cut it. M wandered in and asked to help, so we set up the pasta machine and I put M on the crank. Crank, crank, crank and our first pasta sheet came through. Then another and another until it was all rolled out, all a lovely soft golden colour from the free range egg yolks.

A tip for those of you with young kids wanting to help. Watch out for little hands that grab greedily for a taste of the dough during the rolling/cutting and if the dough suddenly stops going through the rollers, check which direction they are winding in!

We hung the sheets over cupboard doors and proceeded to make the sauce. A simple tomato sauce with just a bit of bacon for interest seemed the thing, so as not to overwhelm the lovely silken texture of hand made pasta. Then D wandered in and asked if she could take some pasta to work for her dinner. I seriously doubted it as there was really only enough for the one meal. But all was not lost, as there was some leftover tortellini that needed to be used up, but I would need to make another sauce.

So after lunch, back to the kitchen.

I didn't want to make the same sauce again, so something creamy seemed in order, only there wasn't much cream in the fridge, only about 50 ml. No problem, there was some full cream milk. A bit more of a search revealed some lux ham. Imagine a slice of bacon, lux ham is made from the eye end so there is no fat at all. There are two versions of this treat, cooked and raw, both cured and heavily smoked, with the raw being the more flavourful, with a lovely moist texture; it is the porcine equivalent of smoked salmon. When it's cut properly i.e. thinly, you can see right through it and is wonderful on light rye bread with fresh creamy butter. This ham had been in the fridge for two weeks, so it was time to use it up. The pantry cupboard gave up some dried porcini mushroom and that essentially was the sauce. It was so good in fact, I wished I'd made it for the fresh pasta. I really love my wife.

After D went to work, I picked up Marcella's book again to see if there was any guide to what constituted a large egg, unfortunately there was nothing. But what I did find when reading about the best sauce for fresh pasta, Marcela noted that a creamy bacon and mushroom sauce was ideal. I still love my wife, but was a teensy bit jealous.

Creamy Ham & Porcini Sauce

1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
25 g (1 oz) butter
100 g (4 oz) raw lux ham, sliced into strips
1 level tablespoon flour
2 cups milk
50 ml (2 oz) single cream
10 g (1/2 oz) dried porcini, soaked in boiling water for ten minutes & finely chopped, soak water reserved
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
salt & pepper

Sweat the onion and garlic until translucent and soft, add the lux ham and fry until it just changes colour. Add the flour, cook another minute, then add the milk, cream, diced porcini and soak water. Bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes, stirring often. If not thick enough, cook a little longer to reduce. Add the parmesan and season, careful with the salt. Serve with your favourite pasta.

Later on when we went to bed, D told me that she shared her dinner with her workmates. She said they liked it and wanted to know what mushroom I used. I told her porcini and asked her if she told them that her husband had made it. She said she did and I asked her if they said I was clever to be cooking such nice food for my wife. D answered they didn't, so I said they couldn't have my food again. D laughed and went to sleep.

I really have to find a way to sound serious.
 
  posted at 9:07 am
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 9:36 pm, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

What a wonderful adventure - and both end results sound awesome.

Thanks so much for sharing.

 
At 11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best blog yet Neil. Glad to know you share some of the credit with D. Glad to know I saw the right girl for you when I did, comrade.

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi ruth, yes it was a pretty tasty Sunday all round. The hand made pasta was worth the effort, so it looks like I have to go again and team it with the mushroom sauce.

Hi pentacular, you've always been good at *seeing things* haven't you, and your usually right.

 
At 11:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serious, why? If your pasta and sauce is serious you can be as easy as you please.
Marcela is good.

 
At 5:27 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, no it wasn't very serious at all, we were just joking around. D told me the next day her work collegues were praising me, but she didn't want to tell me in case I got a big head!

Marcela is very good, though some recipes could be cut back a bit, but I guess that's the charm of her book.

 
At 8:07 pm, Blogger Jeanne said...

Great post!! There are few things I like more than a creamy combination of ham and mushrooms. And btw, serious is way overrated. ;-)

 
At 3:20 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi jeanne, I'm with you on this one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter