About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Berries & Cherries
Merry Christmas
Menu for Hope V
A friend of this blog, Prince Wine Store is again ...
Masterchef Australia
Menu for Hope V
The Biggest Chinese Restaurant in the World
The Eureka Stockade
Wild Cranberry Sauce
A Sunday Trip

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Monday, January 12, 2009
Soured Off
Last year, an article in Epicure stated that a certain brand of sour dough bread contained no yeast, something that more than a few bakeries around town are now claiming for their sour dough breads.

For the record, sour dough breads do contain yeast, without it, they would just be flatbreads.

It's early in the year, but Epicure is at it again. From a recent article on cherries.

'...Some of the favoured sweet varieties are bing, van, rons and supreme, but only occasionally are they labelled by variety in the markets. The best-known sour cherries are morello and maraschino, with a slightly tart edge that is perfect for cooking...'

According to Wikipedia,

'Since 1940, "maraschino cherries" have been defined as "cherries which have been dyed red, impregnated with sugar and packed in a sugar sirup flavored with oil of bitter almonds or a similar flavor.'

Neither a fresh cherry nor sour, it's a manufactured item available all year round. Cook with it, hardly. It is mostly used for its decorative looks on cakes and in cocktails.
 
  posted at 3:27 pm
  19 comments



19 Comments:
At 10:22 am, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

One just must love "authority".
I've told you about my boys physics teacher haven't I. Sign over his desk that reads
Always question authority.

 
At 11:09 am, Blogger Gigi said...

I can't imagine what one would cook with them. They're barely edible. Drinkable, maybe. ;)

What's up with Epicure?

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger Intrepid in the Kitchen- JdG: said...

I found through dictionary.com that maraschino is a cordial or liqueur made from the Italian wild marasca cherry and that cherries preserved in this liqueur were the first maraschino cherries recorded in around 1820 (though this process of preserving the marasca cherries was far older than that).
Perhaps our writer meant the marasca cherry? It seems that the terms are sometimes interchangeable as the marasca is where the original 'preserved' maraschino derived from?
An explanation might have been nice though!
-Cheers!!!

 
At 12:41 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, that's dead right, take nothing for granted. I guess with epicure, there don't seem to be sub editors, let alone sub editors with food knowledge.

Hi gigi, that's the spirit. Iread a tale of a girl who ordered many dozen cocktails via room service. When mamagement checked, the drinks were untouched except for a missing maraschino cherry.

Hi jdg, I think it was a case of the writer not checking properly. The marasca cherry doesn't grow well outside its homeland and has long been replaced by other varieties for maraschino cherries, mostly sweet as far as I can tell, which is probably why bitter almond flavour is used, to mimic the sour taste. I can't say about anywhere else, but in Australia, morello cherries seem to be the only sour ones available, or it could be that that name is now generic.

 
At 12:54 pm, Blogger George Biron said...

Hi Neil
Just picked some Kentish cherries at a wonderful property called Mooleric a real version of Faraway Downs. Kentish seem to be a little smaller than the Morellos at Ken Campbells' and a fraction sweeter.
So many left un picked so instead of letting them go to waste we picked them for Grappa.
Love the Intrepids detective work.
Best for 2009

 
At 2:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maraschino cherries used to scare me when I was a little girl -- the color, so unnatural -- the taste, so sweet. And the texture -- gooey. I haven't eated one in years.

 
At 11:36 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi george, great to hear about another variety of sour cherry. We don't mind eating fresh morellos, so I think Kentish would be pretty good too. Ah, home brew! Reckon cherries would make something special. We've made our sour cherry jam, preserved them whole and are currently making cherry vodka.

Hi lydia, I don't blame you, though I do think they look pretty as a cake decoration. It's one item that isn't in our pantry though.

 
At 12:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I allowed to cry D*ckheads! here, Neil? Oh for a fact, a check, some knowledge:( Good on you for saying it as it is.

Meanwhile, I'm sure my tummy lining is deep red after eating my way through two kilos of morellos in the last three weeks:))

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Squishy said...

Bravo Neil

 
At 11:45 am, Blogger Thermomixer said...

I made chilled sour cherry soup for lunch yesterday with some morellos. It tasted great - v refreshing.

 
At 3:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Neil
Well done. Keep em honest.

 
At 5:52 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi duncan, cry out loud! You're also not on your own in liking to eat them straight, they have a much better flavour than sweet cherries.

Hi squishy, thank you.

Hi thermomixer, I reckon that would work a treat. If it cools down, I'll have a go at clafoutis with sour cherries.

Hi elliot, I might get to start my own political party, but I think Don Chipp said it better!

 
At 7:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*rolls eyes*
Keep them on their toes Neil.

confession - I used to eat those rotten little maraschino cherries by the packet as a small child. My Gran always had a packet in her pantry. I doubt I could stomach one these days.

 
At 9:15 am, Blogger Ali-K said...

Lets hope epicure is simply in a rut of summer blues like myself (blue at work because I want to be outside enjoying the blue sky). Perhaps as everyone trickles back from holidays things might pick up (especially the spelling...see Melbourne Gastronome).

 
At 1:38 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi dani, you bet! I can take or leave them but sometimes wonder if cherry ripes use maraschino cherries.

Hi ali-k, I reckon all the changes ought to bump them from their rut!!!

I had a quick look but I'm unsure what the MG reference is about...do you have a link?

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Jeanne said...

It's amazing how completely un fact-checked statements get published, while I slog away and agonise over everything I write in my blog lest somebody point out a mistake!!

 
At 12:59 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi jeanne, I think every blogger agrees with you, I know I do. That's a problem for journalists to resolve, they need to be much better at fact checking and not to think what does it matter. One mistake taints the whole story

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Ali-K said...

neil, a very tardy response...I'm sorry.
http://www.melbournegastronome.com/2009/01/were-all-proofreaders-at-age-made.html

 
At 2:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kyrie 6 shoes
goyard
palm angels t shirt
jordan shoes
Travis Scott Jordan
off white shoes
kd shoes
air jordan
yeezy 350
fear of god essentials

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter