About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Christmas Wine - Segura Viudas
Nose In The Trough
Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary
Kalles - Swedish Vegemite
Autistics and Diet
Greek Cookery from the Hellenic Heart
A Cautionary Tale
Fancy Chef
Monsters Attack!!!
The Great Souvlaki Debate

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Saturday, December 12, 2009
Albalu Polo - sour cherry rice


I've always had a low key interest in the food of Iran due to a chance encounter with a tin of Iranian pistachios obtained before the fall of the Shah in 1979. There has been nothing to compare with that memory of cloud-like lightness, crisp crunch and perfectly balanced saltiness. But the Shah was gone and so were those pistachios.

Recently, I met and made friends with an Iranian at work. We naturally talk about food and when his parents came out to Australia, I asked a favour of him. Would they bring some pistachios with them? Well they did and I sat and ate half a kilo at one sitting...I couldn't stop!

His parents have also been kind enough to cook some extra food, which my friend shares with me, absolutely delicious. So it was a nice bit bit of synchronicity, when browsing some cookbooks, that I came across the Persian kitchen, by Neda Afrashi.

Now, I wouldn't buy a cookbook just for the sake of it, there have to be recipes that I want to cook and this book has several as well as being a mine of information on the food of Persia. I suppose many of us think of Lebanese as being typical of Middle Eastern food, but Iranian food has an altogether different slant, with rice being king of the table.

Persian rice has evolved from the basmati variety, but is rarely seen outside the country. The three quality criteria considered are the rice must be as white as possible, have a strong fragrance and be long grained. There a different methods of cooking, but one thing in common they all have is the finished rice must be fluffy, dry and with all grains separate.

One cooking method is called kateh in which the rice is boiled with a fixed quantity of water until it is all absorbed. Another way, called chelo, is to par-boil the rice in plenty of water until al dente, drain, then steam until done with a little butter. Polo uses the chelo method, but with the inclusion of meat, vegetables or pulses added to the final stage.

It was the recipe Albalu Polo (sour cherry rice) that caught me eye, lamb with sour cherries sounded irresistible and even though my rice crust (tahdig - pot bottom) was perhaps a little well done, it was a corker of a dish.






Albalu Polo - adapted from the Persian kitchen by Neda Afrashi
(sour cherry rice with lamb)

450g basmati rice
salt, pepper
2 medium onions
oil
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4oog lamb shoulder, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon saffron, ground
few sprigs thyme
3 or 4 bay leaves
1 jar morello cherries, about 4oog
1 tablespoon light honey
butter

Wash the rice until the water runs clear, then leave to soak in water with 1 tablespoon salt for about 1 hour. Finely chop the onion and fry with some oil until golden. Add the turmeric, cinnamon, lamb and continue to brown for 5 minutes. Add 500ml boiling water, the saffron, thyme, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for 1 hour with the lid slightly ajar to allow the liquid to reduce, you need about 250ml of sauce when done.

15 minutes before the meat is cooked, add the sour cherries and the honey. Meanwhile, bring 2 litres of salted water to the boil, add the rice and cook for about 4 to 7 minutes, until the rice is al dente, or slightly undercooked. Drain the rice and carefully mix with some butter to coat the grains being careful not to damage them.

In a non-stick frypan (essential), melt enough butter to cover the bottom and add 5oml water and a pinch of ground saffron. When this mixture boils, add a layer of rice, then the meat with sour cherries, more rice, more meat and finish with a layer of rice slightly mounded towards the centre. Cover with a lid or tin foil and cook for about 40 minutes on very low heat until a crust has formed. Place a plate over the frypan and flip the frypan over. Serve.
 
  posted at 8:48 pm
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 2:55 am, Anonymous Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I have heard of this dish but never tasted or made it. Now I'm inspired. I have a fascination with food from that part of the world, too, and there are now several good English-language cookbooks available. Thanks for this recipe.

 
At 4:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you make me some next time?
:)
-P

 
At 6:14 am, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I have two such books and the rice is fascinating. I haven't gotten up my nerve or maybe haven't found the time yet. I very much like the look of your crust.

 
At 12:17 am, Blogger Azita Mehran said...

your albalu polo looks good!love the crust(tah dig). great post!

 
At 10:12 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi lydia, I'm a bit like you, it was all a bit unfamiliar, but after reading the cookbook several times (I do have a life, really), everything seems pretty straightforward. Maybe the cooking times for the rice are a little long for our gas burners though.

Hi honey, I'll make some just for you next time you're over.

Hi tanna, I know what you mean, I think experienced cooks like you will know to adapt slightly. I thought my rice was burnt, but my Iranian friend said it was just fine. It was funny, quite black, but it really didn't taste too burnt at all.

Hi azita, reckon that crust is the best bit! The sour cherries a close second.

 
At 3:10 pm, Anonymous Cara Menghilangkan Keloid said...

This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website


Pengobatan Alami Tuntaskan Keputihan
Obat Luka Bernanah bekas Caesar
Obat Alami Menurunkan tekanan Darah Tinggi
Obat Penyakit kulit Eksim
Obat Tumor Jinak diatas Bola Mata
Obat Benjolan Di Ketiak

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter